© 2025 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

WHO chief recounts narrow escape at Yemen airport hit by Israeli missile

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus looks on during a press conference with the Association of Accredited Correspondents at the United Nations (ACANU) at the World Health Organization's headquarters in Geneva, on December 10, 2024.
FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP via Getty Images
/
AFP
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus looks on during a press conference with the Association of Accredited Correspondents at the United Nations (ACANU) at the World Health Organization's headquarters in Geneva, on December 10, 2024.

The head of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, says he and his United Nations colleagues "escaped death narrowly" at Yemen's main airport when Israeli airstrikes targeted the facility.

Speaking with the BBC, Tedros described the scene at the airport during the Thursday attack as "very chaotic."

"People were in disarray and running everywhere," he told Radio 4's Today program on Saturday.

The WHO chief said he and his team were "completely exposed" and that it was "a matter of luck, otherwise if the missile deviated just slightly it could have been on our heads."

Tedros had been waiting to board a flight in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, when the Israeli missile struck. When the airport came under attack, one of the U.N. plane's crew was injured. At least three others at the airport were reported killed.

Video of the airport shows U.N. officials trying to spirit Tedros to safety.

Israel's military said the attack was aimed at infrastructure used by Yemen's Houthi rebels and Iran. Israel said it wasn't aware that the U.N. delegation was at Sanaa airport at the time of the strike.

Copyright 2024 NPR

Scott Neuman is a reporter and editor, working mainly on breaking news for NPR's digital and radio platforms.

Fund the Facts

You just read trusted, local journalism that’s free for everyone, thanks to donors like you.

If that matters to you, now is the time to give. Join the 50,000+ members powering honest reporting and a more connected — and civil! — Connecticut.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Fund the Facts

You just read trusted, local journalism that’s free for everyone, thanks to donors like you.

If that matters to you, now is the time to give. Join the 50,000+ members powering honest reporting and a more connected — and civil! — Connecticut.

Related Content