© 2025 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Tesla's quarterly sales fall 13%. Experts blame Musk

A man holds a sign depicting Elon Musk during a protest against Musk and Tesla on Saturday in Seattle.
Lindsey Wasson
/
AP
A man holds a sign depicting Elon Musk during a protest against Musk and Tesla on Saturday in Seattle.

Global deliveries of Tesla's flagship electric car models fell sharply in the first quarter — down 13% compared to last year — the company announced Wednesday. The drop comes as increasing competition erodes Tesla's market share and CEO Elon Musk's role as President Trump's cost-cutting tsar sparks a backlash among consumers.

The results, released before the opening bell on Wall Street, sent Tesla's already battered shares — which have lost 35% of their value since the start of the year — down even further in early trading. Before noon, however, the share price had rallied.

The sales report shows the biggest-ever quarterly decline in sales for Tesla, which delivered 336,681 vehicles in the first three months of the year compared to 386,810 from the same period in 2024. Analysts had expected a dip, but not one so steep, with an average estimate of 372,410 deliveries.

"I might call it a disaster," says Daniel Ives, managing director at Wedbush Securities. Wall Street was "anticipating softness, but this was, I think, one of the worst delivery quarters relative to the original expectations in the last few years," he says.

Ives, who has been bullish on Tesla in the past, says part of the blame rests with Tesla's failure to refresh its vehicle lineup, but most of the trouble comes from "Musk self-inflicted brand issues."

The controversial Tesla CEO "needs to change course because if we continue down this path, [there are] dark days ahead for Tesla," Ives says.

It's a sentiment echoed by other analysts. Gene Munster, a managing partner at Deepwater Asset Management, posted on X in February that "the catalyst" for lowered expectations for Tesla "has been Musk's increased political visibility, alienating buyers."

Musk, who backed Trump in the 2024 election and donated more than a quarter of a billion dollars to his campaign, has become a key figure in the new administration's push to reduce government spending. As the head of the Department of Government Efficiency, or DOGE, Musk is the public face of often unpopular cuts, which include the elimination of entire agencies. His moves have sparked widespread anger, triggering massive protests at Tesla stores and acts of vandalism targeting the company's vehicles, chargers and storefronts.

Most recently, Musk poured some $20 million into a Wisconsin Supreme Court race in an unsuccessful effort to tip the court in Republicans' favor. Speaking at a rally in the state ahead of Tuesday's poll, Musk acknowledged that working for the White House was "a very expensive job" and that "my Tesla stock and the stock of everyone who holds Tesla has gone roughly in half." (Liberal judge Susan Crawford won the race, which will keep the court leaning in Democrats' direction.)

The slumping sales come despite the Trump administration's efforts to help sell Teslas. Last month, Trump even showed off several Tesla models at the White House and vowed to buy one for himself in an apparent bid to boost sales. That was followed by Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnik saying in an interview with Fox News that people should "buy Tesla" shares.

Sales have also been falling substantially across Europe in recent months.

Some experts say the only way Tesla can recover its brand image is to ditch Musk as CEO. But Ives doesn't think that's the answer.

"I continue to believe he's really the CEO of Tesla and … likely [will be] for another 5 to 10 years," Ives says. "[But] he's going to have to take a step back from DOGE and start to actually become more involved [at Tesla]."

Copyright 2025 NPR

Scott Neuman is a reporter and editor, working mainly on breaking news for NPR's digital and radio platforms.

Fund the Facts

You just read trusted, local journalism that’s free for everyone, thanks to donors like you.

If that matters to you, now is the time to give. Join the 50,000+ members powering honest reporting and a more connected — and civil! — Connecticut.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Fund the Facts

You just read trusted, local journalism that’s free for everyone, thanks to donors like you.

If that matters to you, now is the time to give. Join the 50,000+ members powering honest reporting and a more connected — and civil! — Connecticut.

Related Content