The art of storytelling is at the core of all of the Connecticut Public’s education initiatives. Those initiatives have exploded in the last several years, as it has pursued a bold new direction within the turbulent news industry: transforming a significant portion of its corporate headquarters into a journalism educational facility that would make newsrooms around the country jealous. Over the last decade, CPBN has delivered over 10,000 hours of instruction to middle, high school, college and adult students.
The Connecticut Public’s Learning Lab is an educational facility where students can leverage technology to inspire, create, learn, develop, and produce innovative new media.
The Learning Lab is designed as:
• An innovative teaching facility.
• A collaborative learning and training center for youth and adult learners.
• A welcoming space to foster community conversations.
• An additional resource to develop CPBN media projects.
The Learning Lab’s 20,000 square-feet of classroom, studio, and computer space serves as a satellite campus for high school seniors through a partnership with Hartford Public Schools and the Journalism and Media Academy Magnet School.
In addition to CPBN’s partnership with Hartford Public Schools, the Learning Lab is home to the Institute for Advanced Media, a free opportunity for post-9/11 veterans, their spouses,caregivers and adult learners. The Institute for Advanced Media (IAM) provides the men and women of our armed forces and adult learners an opportunity to learn skills necessary for the 21st century digital media workplace.
The Learning Lab gives students of all ages the opportunity to:
• Learn digital video production and editing.
• Learn digital publishing and print design.
• Learn from award-winning broadcast and media professionals.
• Learn to use industry-standard software and equipment.
• Develop a portfolio of personal work.
• Gain experience working with media professionals.
• Gain industry-specific certifications.
To learn more about our programs,or to find out how you can support the Learning Lab:
Senior Vice President of Education