© 2025 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Connecticut Puts Danbury On COVID-19 Alert After Cases Spike

A health care worker prepares to administer a nasal swab for a COVID-19 drive-by testing site
JOE AMON
/
CONNECTICUT PUBLIC/NENC

Connecticut public health officials have issued an alert to Danbury residents after what the state called a “significant spike” in new coronavirus cases.

The state is urging people in the city to “stay home if possible, avoid unnecessary outings, limit indoor gatherings to only those you live with, [and] refrain from attending large church services or outdoor gatherings.”

In a news release, the state said it issued the alert “after a significant increase in cases in the last two weeks, with much of the outbreak related to recent domestic and international travel.”  

The state says Danbury recorded at least 178 new COVID-19 cases between Aug. 2 and Aug. 20; only 40 had been reported the two weeks prior.

“This is a serious outbreak in Danbury and we really need an all hands on deck approach. We need everyone in Danbury to take extreme precaution,” said acting DPH Commissioner Deidre Gifford. “We appreciate the partnership with municipal and health department leadership in Danbury, as well as health care providers that have testing sites available for members of the community. We are urging anyone who thinks they may have been exposed to get tested as soon as possible, stay home until your test results are known and stay at home for 10 days if you test positive.”

On Twitter Friday, Gov. Ned Lamont acknowledged the alert.

“We’re urging anyone who thinks they may have been exposed to get tested ASAP,” he said. 

Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton asked residents to limit their activities over the weekend.

He said the city reported 44 new cases Friday.

Connecticut has reported 51,519 cases of COVID-19 and 4,460 associated deaths. As of Friday, 54 patients were hospitalized in the state with COVID-19.

Jeff Cohen started in newspapers in 2001 and joined Connecticut Public in 2010, where he worked as a reporter and fill-in host. In 2017, he was named news director. Then, in 2022, he became a senior enterprise reporter.

Fund the Facts

You just read trusted, local journalism that’s free for everyone, thanks to donors like you.

If that matters to you, now is the time to give. Join the 50,000+ members powering honest reporting and a more connected — and civil! — Connecticut.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Fund the Facts

You just read trusted, local journalism that’s free for everyone, thanks to donors like you.

If that matters to you, now is the time to give. Join the 50,000+ members powering honest reporting and a more connected — and civil! — Connecticut.

Related Content