To be an essential source for truth and ideas that connects the citizens of Connecticut to their communities and to the world.
Connecticut Public, home to Connecticut Public Television and Connecticut Public Radio, offers internships at its headquarters in the historic Asylum Hill neighborhood of Hartford and at Connecticut Public Radio's New Haven Bureau at Gateway Community College.
Interns who completed the program at Connecticut Public have gone on to careers at A&E, NPR, ESPN, HEARST, Frontline, Yale, Bain & Company, BlueSky Productions, Dreamworks, USAID, Upright Citizens Brigade, and PBS & NPR member stations. Plus, our interns now serve as working filmmakers, animators, performers, professors, lawyers, and entrepreneurs.
From day one, Connecticut Public interns are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns accomplish meaningful work in our radio, news, marketing, and digital departments. Find out how you can contribute your diverse talents to gain invaluable experience at the heart of a thriving multimedia organization!
Who should apply:
We are looking for students and recent graduates who are intelligent, creative, and curious. Candidates don't need to know everything about news or public radio, but it helps to be at least a little familiar. And, it doesn't hurt to love our flagship programs, like Where We Live, NEXT or The Colin McEnroe Show.
For more details on the unique requirements for individual internship positions (cover letter, writing sample, or a design portfolio for example), read each internship description in full before applying.
Qualified applicants must be current students (undergraduate or graduate degree programs) or have graduated no more than 12 months prior to the start of the internship. We do not accept high school students. Interns must be authorized to work in the United States and be 18 or older.
Internship offerings vary by semester. Click below to see our current internship opportunities.
Fall internships are eight-weeks long and run from a starting date of September 28, 2020 through November 20, 2020.
Fall 2020 internship opportunities are listed below. Interns can expect to work a maximum of 20-hours per week. All internships are paid. We expect the internship application window to open in mid-July.
Connecticut Public Content Team
- Larry Lunden News Internship = 1 available
- This internship is posted in our newsroom and may work remote.
- Integrity in News Internship = 1 available (Gateway Community College Campus).
- This internship is contingent upon Gateway and CT Public Radio's New Haven campus (A) opening for full return and (B) our satellite studio being fully operational
- Talk Show Production Internship = 2 available
- This internship is contingent the ability to return, safely, to the workplace. In some cases, the internship may work fully remote., but assist with different radio elements.
Summer 2020 internships are scheduled from June 8, 2020 through August 21st.
Connecticut Public is committed to the health and safety of our interns. Should conditions warrant, telework options are available.
Thanks for your interest! The Summer 2020 internship window is now closed. Please check back in July/August for new internship possibilities.
Our Spring 2021 internship window is not available. Please check back in December 2020.
How are interns selected?
Selections are based on the following general criteria:
- Relevant qualifications and education
- Academic record
- Goals and career interests
How to Apply
All candidates must complete an online application through our Career Center page. In addition, the following application materials are required:
- Current resume
- Minimum of two professional or academic letters of reference/recommendation.
- Optional: A brief (1-2 page) writing sample and/or link to an online portfolio
- Optional: A personal statement outlining the reasons for applying to a particular internship and what you hope to achieve with the learning.
Although all applications are reviewed, only those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be contacted for further consideration.